Old Sound Photos!

I was sorting through some old photos on my phone and decided to upload some of them to here showing of my past experiences in the world of audio!

An Evening With Ella: 
Live sound engineering and recording a jazz band. The vocalist used a Shure Super 55 for the Ella Fitzgerald sound and look. The keyboard and stand up bass had their own amplifiers, which were DI'ed into the mixing desk. Drums had x2 C1000s for overhead mics and a Shure SM57 on the snare. Mixer used was a Soundcraft Signature 12. Recording was done by taking the stereo output from the desk to a Tascam DR-40, which also had two stereo microphones on the unit which I used for room sound. Both these stereo tracks were mixed together for the final recording.



Voice-Plus Recording Studio: 
One of the many recording sessions I've engineered at Voice-Plus Academy of Arts. While recordings are usually done in the isolated room through the control room window, for this session I had the mics in the room with me to control the computer! Running x2 C1000's and an sE2000.



Voice-Plus 5th Anniversary Show: 
For the 5th Anniversary of the school, we had a big night of musical theatre songs performed by the students of the school. I was in charge of everything sound for the evening! We were running 3 radio microphones on rotation between students, 4 shotgun mic's above the stage and CSC Show Control for cueing songs and performances.

Epstein Theatre Liverpool: 
During my time at the Epstein Theatre in Liverpool, I had experience in both sound, lighting and follow spot work.



Salford Big Band: 
We were tasked with doing a live performance recording of Salford Big Band using Liverpool Community Colleges G2 venue and analogue recording studio. The band consisted of 22 performers at any one time, with some performers rotating out for other members of the band, giving nearly 30 members in total. The challenge was trying to record that many performers with a system that could only hand 16 analogue inputs to the computer at a time. To get around this, we had to mix down and group some channels on the mixing desk, so that some of the brass section performers were sharing channels. The desk used was an Audient 8024.



Southport Little Theatre: 
I had a night assisting on sound at Southport Little Theatre. The performance was of Jack And The Beanstalk, with 16 radio microphones being used between the performers as well as ambient mics.

The Viking Skiffle Group: 
I was tasked with doing a live recording of Formby based band, The Viking Skiffle Group. For the recording, I wanted to try and emulate the sorts of recordings done during the 50s and 60s were a single microphone was left in the middle of the room and the band members had to move closer or further way from the microphone for setting their individual levels for the final recording. So the vocals maintained clarity, I cheated a little bit and recorded the vocal microphone as well.


The City That Rocked The World: 
I Assisted with sound on a few of the shoots on a TV film documentary about the Liverpool music scene. I even manged to get my name in the films end credits! This was one of the shots I assisted on, involving filming of The Quarry Men, I skiffle band original started by John Lennon before he moved on to form The Beatles.

Comments

Popular Posts